Skip to main content

Do you need a web detox?

A friend of mine told me recently that most people who go to the library he works at spend most of their time in the computer area chatting on Facebook. While this isn't new information, it made me think about how our habits and lifestyle are changing...

Any young and active person can hardly spend a day without checking his/ her Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and Instagram accounts (to say the least). Have you ever calculated the amount of time you spend on each of these websites? Additionally you may have favorite apps you like to get on daily.

Last week, I was at a conference and one of the speakers was proudly telling me that he receives between 200 and 300 emails a day. He added that just on the short lapse of time we talked he received 2 missed calls already. Honestly, I thought there was nothing to be really proud of... I did mention to him that while I was having a conversation with him, my phone was in my bag and I was not taking any calls right at that moment as it would be a lack of respect and at the same I prefer to be fully in the moment rather than trying to deal with new issues... I also thought to myself that I did good implementing my New Year resolutions (unsubscribing from all the lists that didn't interest me anymore).

This is to say that when our day is filled with checking websites, chatting with friends online, playing games on apps etc., we are not creating; we are not adding value but merely consuming.  

I think 70% of the time should be dedicated to creating/ producing. The 30% can be utilized for inspiration, information consumption and chatting (not networking).

Tim Ferris was right when he said we should check our emails only once a week at the same specific time. Of course for young professionals and entrepreneurs, this seems like forever but why not try to implement it on a more or less doable manner. 

By freeing ourselves from Facebook, Twitter, Instagram mania, we can spend more time thinking, creating and adding value to other people's lives.

What about you? What’s the one thing you do daily that takes you up a lot of time and you know you shouldn't be spending so much time on it?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Be More Productive

Nowadays with the presence of so many distractions, so many of us struggle with staying focused and productive. In this video, I give tips that work for me and hopefully will help you get the most out of your days and weeks and achieve the most important things you have on your goals list. I find these tips very efficient and I always remind myself of them when I stray. Let me know in the comments section what you usually do to stay focused and productive and your biggest plan for 2018. And stay in touch!

Before you get out of bed and chase your dreams....

Here I am back from a mini vacation. As a read, I took Unlimited Power by Tony Robbins. Self-development books are great because they help you reboot your life in a matter of a few seconds, minutes, hours… What is interesting about the new phenomena of self-development and the Secret effect is that everyone now talks about gratitude and how important it is to be grateful for what you have before you ask for more or better. It is true that we spend our time looking for what we don’t have and we love comparing ourselves with others. Self-help books authors are right to suggest that one should implement gratitude exercises on a daily basis so s/he is aware of his/her given talents, resources and assets in life. It is a proven way that one will live happier and less miserable. To be honest, I didn’t need to read it from Tony or Ronda. Gratitude is something we are taught to ever since we are small children. After finishing a meal, you should say ‘hamdoullah’. Hamdoullah isn...

It's Okay to Change Your Mind

Changing minds is often seeing as a negative thing. If you’ve made promises to yourself in the past and find it difficult to keep them up, don’t beat yourself up. Embrace the change and do NOT stress out. Your old self hasn’t died. It just evolved. Sticking to decisions you’ve made when you were 5 years-old doesn’t make much sense especially if they become a hindrance to your development and growth. It’s OK to change your mind... In this video, I explain why it's okay to change your mind and how it can actually be a beneficial thing. As George Bernard Shaw said, 'Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.' QUESTION: What is one promise you made yourself that you're finding hard to keep?  Please comment below and share the video if you liked it!