Skip to main content

It's my right that you read this blog post right now!!


Being a business owner, I often come across young graduates looking for internships and jobs. Sometimes I interview them for jobs we offer at the agency. Young people I encounter have most likely gone to school, received higher education and have big dreams of conquering the world. All classic!! However, one thing I have noticed in common among these graduates is this sense of entitlement. 'I am interning at this insurance company. They're using up my time. They should pay me.' or 'I have a higher degree and I won't accept a job if they don't give me a salary with bonuses etc' or even 'Sorry I have a higher degree, I cannot open the office door.'

Because they have being to school and received a degree, these young people feel the world owes it to them. We all know that in most cases, employers don't really care about the degree. It's more about can you do the job and can you do it well. Having a degree is a mere way for filtering applications and looking deeply to those profiles who have a degree and experience.

I remember when I was going to school, I had decided to do an internship outside of my class hours so I could acquire experience. This was not required for my degree. But I enjoyed doing it although I wasn't paid for it and went through tough times. I was feeling so lucky and grateful for being an insider and working in institutions where I could learn and do something I loved: communication and media.
“You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was.” 
― Abraham Lincoln
The right to have something or entitlement can be a hot debate when it comes to the business and work world. I have acquired higher education and have degree but am I entitled to having the biggest clients in the world and charging big fees for my services? No. No, until I work really hard to convince these 'Biggest clients' that I am the right choice for them and when I will never disappoint them and always deliver high quality work to their standards.

I believe entitlement is not healthy. The moment you expect something, you always feel disappointed.  There are indeed some basic rights to be respected but none should feel 'special' because none is really 'special'. When you think you are 'special' there is so much pressure that you put on yourself: you have to have this, you have to get this, you have to receive this treatment, etc. It's a lot of expectations. When one doesn't have much expectations but work toward his/her goals, whatever s/he receives is a good surprise and a reward.

My advice to the young adults starting out in their lives: don't demand anything. Work hard and prove you deserve what you want!

QUESTION: And you, how do you feel about entitlement? Do you think your parents, the government, the system, the boss should owe you something for nothing? Share your comments below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Before you get out of bed and chase your dreams....

Here I am back from a mini vacation. As a read, I took Unlimited Power by Tony Robbins. Self-development books are great because they help you reboot your life in a matter of a few seconds, minutes, hours… What is interesting about the new phenomena of self-development and the Secret effect is that everyone now talks about gratitude and how important it is to be grateful for what you have before you ask for more or better. It is true that we spend our time looking for what we don’t have and we love comparing ourselves with others. Self-help books authors are right to suggest that one should implement gratitude exercises on a daily basis so s/he is aware of his/her given talents, resources and assets in life. It is a proven way that one will live happier and less miserable. To be honest, I didn’t need to read it from Tony or Ronda. Gratitude is something we are taught to ever since we are small children. After finishing a meal, you should say ‘hamdoullah’. Hamdoullah isn...

How to Be More Productive

Nowadays with the presence of so many distractions, so many of us struggle with staying focused and productive. In this video, I give tips that work for me and hopefully will help you get the most out of your days and weeks and achieve the most important things you have on your goals list. I find these tips very efficient and I always remind myself of them when I stray. Let me know in the comments section what you usually do to stay focused and productive and your biggest plan for 2018. And stay in touch!

December Challenge: It's NOT too Late to Make this Year a Remarkable Year

HO! HO! HO! It's that time of the year... Not to celebrate and exchange gifts (at least not for me). On December 1st, it's hustle time. It's that time I push myself to get back on track and catch up on all pending to-dos, goals, and dreams. In other words, I use December as a month of challenge to complete the objectives I had for that year or at least get significant progress on that. There can be so many distractions in life and the social media and the internet can eat up most of our time (it used to be TV). Now, to achieve goals, I first need to get organized: 1. Review my goals for the past year 2. Check the completed goals 3. Zoom on the remaining ones When I have my remaining goals set clear on paper, I can then evaluate what can quickly be done immediately (if your goal is to get fit, you can already start doing today) and what would take longer to achieve. For the immediate actions, there is no secret to this. I just make time for them on my calendar. ...