Skip to main content

Preparing a new beginning...

September to me is like January, a new year that begins. As the summer draws to an end, I look back at this year's goals and achievements. I also take a look at the obstacles, difficulties and what went wrong.

So the last weeks of August, while people are sun-bathing (it doesn't mean I don't), I take time to reflect on my first 8 months of 2013. It looks like every year I have new challenges and every year I have new problems. But that is life, isn't it?

I enjoy this process as it always helps me keep on track and update my personal and professional goals. I do have a lifetime, 5 year and short-terms goals list I did in a leadership program some years back. But I can see that some of my goals change as I get more experience and adapt to the 21 century latest technologies. Just on this note, I used to have 'create a magazine' as an objective but today creating a printed magazine is almost a suicide as people read less on paper and more on their smartphones. So this goal had to be eliminated or adapted to something people can consume.

Another beautiful thing I find about september is that I have 4 more months to readjust and revaluate my goals that I want to achieve by the end of the year. It's amazing how much we can do in such a short time. It is said that it takes 21 days to break an old habit or get a new one. Four months is plenty of time to be a new self, start a project, etc.

While it's not enough to just reflect, I always come up with an actionable plan for each goal. I always give them deadlines. Deadlines help me put those goals on my calendar and tasks list and they become part of my life not just part of my dream list. For example, I have a goal of speaking fluent Italian. For that, I need to sign up for classes (I have tried online lessons but I think I need the real thing). The deadline to sign up would be sometime in September. Therefore, I would need to call the Italian consulate, get the information I need, sign up, pay etc. I cannot wait until October to want to join a class. It would be too late and hard to catch up on the missed classes...

In brief, keeping track of goals can only help achieving more. At the end of the day, there is no one to judge me but my consciousness. I love giving the best I have and being the best I am.

<strong>Suggested tips for you :</strong>
1. Pull out your 2013 goals or create a new goals list for 2013
2. Review each goal and make an actionable plan for each objective
3. Don't forget to add dates and deadlines to each goal
4. Don't be too hard on yourself
5. Give the best you have and be the best you can!!

And you, do you have any tips to share?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Before you get out of bed and chase your dreams....

Here I am back from a mini vacation. As a read, I took Unlimited Power by Tony Robbins. Self-development books are great because they help you reboot your life in a matter of a few seconds, minutes, hours… What is interesting about the new phenomena of self-development and the Secret effect is that everyone now talks about gratitude and how important it is to be grateful for what you have before you ask for more or better. It is true that we spend our time looking for what we don’t have and we love comparing ourselves with others. Self-help books authors are right to suggest that one should implement gratitude exercises on a daily basis so s/he is aware of his/her given talents, resources and assets in life. It is a proven way that one will live happier and less miserable. To be honest, I didn’t need to read it from Tony or Ronda. Gratitude is something we are taught to ever since we are small children. After finishing a meal, you should say ‘hamdoullah’. Hamdoullah isn...

How to Be More Productive

Nowadays with the presence of so many distractions, so many of us struggle with staying focused and productive. In this video, I give tips that work for me and hopefully will help you get the most out of your days and weeks and achieve the most important things you have on your goals list. I find these tips very efficient and I always remind myself of them when I stray. Let me know in the comments section what you usually do to stay focused and productive and your biggest plan for 2018. And stay in touch!

It's Okay to Change Your Mind

Changing minds is often seeing as a negative thing. If you’ve made promises to yourself in the past and find it difficult to keep them up, don’t beat yourself up. Embrace the change and do NOT stress out. Your old self hasn’t died. It just evolved. Sticking to decisions you’ve made when you were 5 years-old doesn’t make much sense especially if they become a hindrance to your development and growth. It’s OK to change your mind... In this video, I explain why it's okay to change your mind and how it can actually be a beneficial thing. As George Bernard Shaw said, 'Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.' QUESTION: What is one promise you made yourself that you're finding hard to keep?  Please comment below and share the video if you liked it!